skip to navigation menu
skip to main page content
Citizens Advice Newcastle logo
Consumer Advice

Consumer Advice

Consumer Law protections exist to protect your rights when you buy goods or services. Citizens Advice Newcastle can give advice on those consumer rights and provide help with contacting relevant consumer protection bodies.

You can get help if you’re treated unfairly or when things go wrong. This includes:

  • credit and store cards
  • faulty goods
  • counterfeit goods
  • poor service
  • problems with contracts
  • problems with builders
  • rogue traders

Common consumer issues we provide advice on include:

Buying or repairing a car

  • Buying a used car
  • Problems with used cars
  • Problems with car repairs
  • Getting help from a motor trade association

Something's gone wrong with a purchase

  • Returning faulty goods
  • Claiming using a warranty or guarantee
  • What to do if a company stops trading or goes out of business
  • What to do if something is advertised at the wrong price
  • Reporting fake or counterfeit goods
  • What to do if something you ordered hasn't arrived
  • What to do if you think you've bought stolen goods
  • How to get your money back if you paid by card or PayPal
  • What to do if you're unhappy about poor service
  • What you can do if you change your mind about a purchase

Holidays and transport

  • Claiming compensation from airlines for flight delays, cancellations, lost luggage, etc
  • Claiming compensation for a holiday
  • Getting a refund for a cancelled or delayed train


  • Buying insurance
  • How to make insurance claims
  • Problems with insurance claims


  • How to claim compensation for lost, damaged or delayed post
  • What to do about lost post
  • What to do if your post has been tampered with
  • How to stop getting junk mail
  • What to do if you're getting someone else's post
  • How to make a complaint about Royal Mail or a Post Office
  • How to make a complaint about a courier company 

Phone, internet or TV

  • Disputes about mobile, phone, internet or TV bills
  • Stop getting nuisance calls and texts
  • Cancelling a phone, TV, internet or mobile contract
  • What to do if your mobile phone is lost or stolen
  • What to do if you’re struggling to pay your mobile, phone, internet or TV bill
  • Complaints about a premium rate numbers

Home improvements

  • Before you get building work done
  • Problems with building work, decorating or home improvements
  • Cancelling building or decorating work

 plus a whole lot more. Contact us today if you need help with consumer related issues.

skip to navigation menu
skip to main page content
Citizens Advice logo

©2004-2023 Citizens Advice Newcastle. All rights reserved.
Registered Address: 4th Floor, City Library, Charles Avison Building, 33 New Bridge Street West, Newcastle upon Tyne, NE1 8AX. Registered in England number: 2114435. Registered under the Charities Act number: 1135396. Authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority FRN: 617674

Disclaimer & Copyright | Privacy & Cookies | Partnerships | Support Us | Site Map

Disability Confident Employer logo
Mindful Employer logo
Living Wage Employer logo