· WHAT IS THIS CAMPAIGN?
The ‘Be a Game Changer’ campaign was launched in February 2019 to encourage football fans to talk more openly about mental health. It aims to raise awareness of mental health issues and motivate fans to be proactive in looking after their mental health in a similar way they would look after their physical health.
· WHY IS THIS IMPORTANT?
We believe that talking about mental health can save lives. Unfortunately, the North East of England has one of highest levels of suicide in England – with 75% being male. The Be a Game Changer campaign aims to reduce these shocking statistics by using the power of football to encourage people to speak up when they are struggling.
· HOW CAN I GET INVOLVED?
We’re supporting the campaign by sharing its key messages; let’s talk about mental health and to #BeAGameChanger. Whether that is with colleagues, friends, family or professionals we want to encourage everyone to speak up when they are struggling and to look out for those around them.
Ways to engage with the campaign include:
- Share a graphic on social media, make sure to use the hashtag #BeAGameChanger
- Check in on a friend or family member you haven’t spoken to in a while or who you may be worried about
- If you are struggling – speak to someone you trust. That could be a colleague, family member, friend or professional
- Join the Facebook Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/BeAGameChangerNUFC/
- For further information visit the website www.nufoundation.org.uk/beagamechanger